There’s a little area of Halifax that’s been quietly growing over the last few years. Once considered part of the burbs, Rockingham Ridge is showing “destination” symptoms. You might call it a renaissance of sorts, with shops, restaurants and new developments popping up in and around more established landmarks. People who live here are working, shopping and raising families in the area. After all, why drive downtown? Clearly, there’s local demand and the community’s responding to it.
So let’s explore. We’ll start our list at the Rockingham Ridge Plaza - a little strip mall that’s punching above its weight in terms of amenities:
1.Kelly’s Deli: The New Kid on the Block - or is it? According to Halifax ReTales, this popular lunch destination operated in the same spot in Rockingham Ridge Plaza under the same owners 25 years ago. And they’re back! And according to the grapevine they’re serving up some fantastic food, so give them a visit!
2. A few doors down you’ll find Canton Garden: Chinese cuisine “known for its modern interpretation of classic dishes and its insistence on only using high quality fresh ingredients”. They’re also known for consistent, prompt, courteous service - what’s not to like?
3. Arirang Korean & Japanese Restaurant: This is in the spot where the well-loved Milamodo Japanese Restaurant used to be and offers the same friendly hospitality.
4. ODell’s Gluten Free Bakery & Cafe: Self-described as a “slow food joint”, ODell’s offers GF foods both online and in person, as well as diabetic products. They just opened during the last year and are getting rave reviews.
5. Paula’s Place Tailor Shop: There’s nothing like having someone in the neighbourhood to handle all your sewing and alterations needs. Paula’s been in business for over 30 years and she’s got a stellar reputation. What would we do without her?
6. Guardian Drugs: The hub of the Rockingham Ridge Plaza, Guardian Rockingham Pharmacy has everything you need in a drug store (plus a remarkable selection of seasonal/giftware items). It’s also home to a convenient Canada Post outlet!
7. The Mainland North Linear Parkway: Let’s get some exercise! Popular with joggers, cyclists, walkers, strollers, and young people going to school, the “Power Line Trail” is always busy.
8. For those days when you travel by car, Wilson’s Gas Bar sits at the entrance to the Rockingham Ridge Plaza parking lot - very popular with the locals because of its convenient location and because you save at least 2 cents per litre when you pay with cash or debit.
9. You can also fill ‘Er up at the brand new Shell Gas, right across Dunbrack Street at 5 Ruth Goldbloom Drive, where you’ll also find a newly-opened Sobeys Express & NSLC Express. Very convenient for commuters.
10. THIS CONDO!
30 Attenborough Court #104 offers all the advantages of condo life without sacrificing the features of detached housing. Park at your front door and enter directly into a newly-refinished 2-bedroom condominium that features fresh paint, new flooring, an updated kitchen & bath, in-unit & exterior storage, and parking. RDR’s Denise MacDonell is hosting an Open House this Sunday July 15, 2-4pm, so there’s never been a better time to explore the Rockingham Ridge area and consider whether this is the community for you. Come visit - you’ll be glad you did!
Red Door Realty was founded in January 2007 out of a desire to raise the bar on what it means to buy and sell real estate in Nova Scotia. With offices in Halifax, Dartmouth and Lunenburg, we are a full service real estate company that exists to serve residential, multi-family, and commercial clients. Thinking of buying or selling? Contact one of our REALTORS®.